FAFSA For Summer


What is summer aid and how do I know if I’m eligible? Do I need to submit a FAFSA for summer?


You do not need to submit a new FAFSA to receive aid in the summer if you already have one on file from the fall and spring.  

Summer aid will come from the previous academic year (fall/spring). If you didn't use all your eligible aid for fall and spring, you may have some leftover to use for summer based on general eligibility requirements.

Ex: The 2019/2020 FAFSA is for Fall 19, Spring 20, Summer 20

Currently, summer aid is disbursed after confirmation of enrollment and end of book deferment store sales.

Please Note

  • Year-Round Pell is the only aid that requires summer enrollment before aid can be awarded
  • If you have remaining Pell eligibility and meet the SAP standards you could use the remaining Pell for your summer classes or if you are registering for at least 6 credits and do not have Pell remaining you could qualify for an additional 50% of your total annual award.

Summer aid is generally calculated and awarded by the Financial Aid Office based on the registration and eligibility status of students.

For those not eligible, foundation need-based scholarships are offered. Forms are available on the Financial Aid page on the website. 

If you do not qualify for financial aid, you may make payment arrangements with the Bursar Office.

  • Summer Term Pell Grant Eligibility: The scheduled award for a Pell Grant is normally broken into two payments based on full-time enrollment.
    • The student receives 50% of their scheduled award for the fall semester and the other 50% for the spring semester
    • If a student does not attend in full-time status during either of these terms, they will not have received 100% of their scheduled award and will have funds remaining that can be disbursed during the summer term
    • Students who have attended full-time during both the fall and spring semester will have used 100% of their scheduled award and therefore, will not have any Pell Grant eligibility remaining for the summer
    • Pell Grant amounts used at other institutions during the award year will affect the amount of Pell Grant the student is eligible to receive at PCCC.

  • Year-Round Pell: Beginning with the 2017-2018 award year, the Department of Education has established what is called Year-Round Pell (YRP).
    • This program allows a student to receive an additional 50% of their scheduled Pell Grant award
    • This means a student may receive a maximum of 150% of their scheduled Pell Grant award during the award year
    • For the student to receive any of the additional 50%, they must be enrolled at least half-time in the term to which the additional funding will be applied, normally this is the summer term
    • The YRP regulation was created to help students have funding available for all terms during the award year and hopefully help the student graduate from their program quicker